I used to...




As you can see, I didn´t use to like photographs or doves. However...


I used to enjoy going to the country with my cousins every Sunday.


I used to play with my Nancy doll and my Exin Castle in the afternoon.


I  used to go to Mazagón in the summer and swim in the sea for long hours.


I used to cycle in the park with my sister every Saturday morning,


My father used to read me stories and tales at night.


I didn´t use to be afraid of the dark (I was a brave girl...)



What did you use to do when you were a child?

What didn´t you use to do?



Some help?



                                                              Used to (Soler)


El verbo modal "used to" se emplea para indicar algo que ocurría o sucedería en el pasado de manera habitual. También, se utiliza para algo que antes era verdad pero ya no lo es. Como con los otros verbos modales, "used to" está seguido por la forma base del verbo (el infinitivo sin "to").

Structure (Estructura)

  1. Affirmative Sentences (Frases afirmativas)
    EstructuraSujeto + "used to" + verbo...
    • Ejemplos:
    • Play We used to go to the beach every summer when I was young. (Cuando era joven  solíamos ir a la playa cada verano.)
    • Play He used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, but he quit last year. (Solía fumar un  paquete  de cigarrillos al día, pero lo dejé el año pasado.)
    • Play used to like mushrooms, but not anymore. (Me solían gustar las setas, pero ya no.)
    • Play There used to be a great restaurant here, but it closed a few years ago. (Había un gran restaurante aquí, pero cerró hace unos años.)

  2. Negative Sentences (Frases negativas)
    EstructuraSujeto + "didn't" + "use to" + verbo...
    • Ejemplos:
    • Play didn't use to like mushrooms, but now I do. (No me solían gustar las setas, pero ahora  si.)
    • Play Food didn't use to be so expensive. (La comida no solía ser tan cara.)
    • Play We didn't use to go away on holiday very often when I was young. (No solíamos ir de  vacaciones a menudo cuando era joven.)
  3. Interrogative Sentences (Frases interogativas)
    Estructura"Did" + sujeto + "use to" + verbo...?
    • Ejemplos:
    • Play Didn't he use to smoke a lot? (Él solía fumar mucho, ¿no?)
    • Play Did you use to live here? (¿Vivías aquí antes?)
    • Play Did they use to go to the beach in the summers? (¿Solían ir a la playa durante los        veranos?)
    •  No utilizamos "used to" para acciones habituales en el presente. En vez de este verbo modal, se usa un adverbio como "usually" o"normally" por ejemplo.
  • Ejemplos:
  • Play We usually go to the beach every summer. (Solemos ir a la playa cada verano.)
  • Play He normally smokes a pack of cigarettes every day. (Normalmente él fuma un paquete de    cigarrillos cada día.)
  • Play They usually play football on the weekends. (Suelen jugar a fútbol los fines de semana.)

  • También se puede utilizar el verbo modal "would" para eventos o acciones repetidas en el pasado. Pero ten en cuenta que sólo se puede usar con acciones, no con estados o hábitos. Tampoco se puede utilizar "would" en el negativo. 
  • Ejemplos:
  • lay When I was young, we would go to the beach every summer. (Cuando era joven Solíamos ir  a la playa cada verano.)
  • Play At the university, they would play football every weekend. (En la universidad, ellos solían  jugar a fútbol cada fin de semana.)

  • He would smoke a lot.
  • When I was young we wouldn't go to the beach every summer.




USED TO: exercises


Carmen María

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario