Review exercises II

These review exercises will be effective to help you pass your final exams. 4th year students should know the answer to all of them; perhaps 3rd year students will find some of them a bit complicated...but everything is possible if you try hard!!


1. Put the verbs in the right form:

1. The plane _________! (just/land)
2. A lot of Ford cars __________in Spain. (make)
3. I don´t think there ________another world war. (be)
4. She phoned me when I __________the dinner. (cook)
5. I _________an old friend last night for dinner. (meet)
6. We´ll be late if they _________soon. (not arrive)
7. I don´t like ________the kitchen. (clean)
8. I´d like ________rich and famous. (be)
9. I´m very tired. I _________over four hours hundred miles today. (drive)
10. Our friends _________us at the airport tonight. (meet)
11. Where´s Robert?. __________a shower?. (have)
12. I´ll tell Anna all the news when I ________her. (see)
13. I´m hungry. I _________something to eat. (have)

2. Complete these comments about smoking with CAN / CAN´T; MUST;
SHOULD / SHOULDN´T.

1. I _________understand why people smoke. It tastes horrible.
2. If people get ill from smoking, they _______pay for the treatment. Why

_______I pay more taxes for it?.
3. Smokers _________have to go outside to smoke. Employers_________provide
places for them to smoke.
4. I´m sorry, sir, but you _________put the cigarette out. You ________smoke here.
It´s a non-smoking area. If you want to smoke you ________go outside.
5. The government _________ban smoking completely so that we _______

all breathe clean air.
6. Why ________anyone else decide whether I ________smoke in my

own home?. It´s ridiculous.

3. Express these situations using a second conditional.

1. They don´t go abroad. They´re afraid of flying.
-
2. Frank doesn´t read a lot. He can´t find the time.
-
3. I feel embarrased at parties. I don´t know what to say.
-
4. Peter is overweight. He eats too much.
-
5. Sarah doesn´t study hard. She hates school.
-
6. The office is cold. People leave the door open.
-
7. I can´t translate this. I don´t speak Japanese.


4. Complete the adjectives with –ed or – ing .

1. When I am __________ (depress- ).
2. If people are __________ (confus- ).
3. It was a __________ (depress- ) film.
4. I get quite ________ (annoy- ).
5. Some people find it very ___________ (relax- ).
6.It was the most ________ (embarras- ) experience.
7. I was so __________ (tir- ).
8. My job is very _________ (excit- ).
9. We thought it would be more _________ (interest- ).


5. Write the phrases for each situation.

1. You´re in a hotel. You need to get up tomorrow at 7.00 a.m.

What do you say to the receptionist?.
-
2. You want to know the price of some jeans.

What do you say to the shop assistant?.
-
3. You´re in Oslo. You don´t speak Norwegian.

You want to find the station. What do you say?.
-
4. You´re in a restaurant with a friend in London. You want to pay.

What do you say to the waiter?.
-
5. You want to phone your parents. They´re going to pay for the call.

What do you say to the operator?.
-

6. Translate these phrasal verbs. Use your dictionary if necessary.

1. look after = ____________
2. take back = ____________
3. get on with = ___________
4. turn on = _____________
5. fill in = ______________
6. take off = _____________
7. fill up = ______________
8. top up = ______________
9. take out = ____________


7. Complete with a verb.

1. I always _________a suit to work.
2. If you don´t take a map, you´ll get __________.
3. When I speak German I often _________mistakes.
4. You need to ________exercise every day.
5. Could you ________me some money until tomorrow?. I didn´t have time to

go to the bank.
6. Film stars ________ a lot of money.


8. Put in the present perfect or past simple of the verbs in brackets:

1. The last time I ________(go) to Brighton was in August.
2. I´d like to meet a ghost, but I _____________(never/see) one.
3. I´ve finished my homework, I___________(do) it before tea.
4. And the race is over! And Micky Simpson__________(win) in a record time!.
5. Janet _______(be) very ill three years ago.
6. We moved here in 1993. We _________(be) here a long time now.


9. Complete the sentences: for and since:

1. You should wash the car. You haven´t washed it ___________ ages.
2. I think I´ll ring my girlfriend. I haven´t rung ________ the weekend.
3. Let´s watch a video, shall we? We haven´t watched one ________ quite a while.
4. Shall we play tennis? We haven´t played __________our holiday.

10. Correct these sentences.

2. It was peaceful, and the birds were sing.
-
3. I washed my hair when the phone rang.
-
4. It taked ages to get home.
-
5. As I was looking at him, the man was suddenly running away.
-

11. Complete the conversation. Put in the correct form of the verb. You may need
will or would:

1. If you like, _______________(I/book) a table for Thursday at our favourite
restaurant.
2. I suppose ________________(it/be) a disaster if you missed the train.
3. If __________________(you/think) more of your friends than you do of me,
you can forget the whole thing.
4. If you were interested in my feelings, _________________(I/not/get)

into a bad mood.


12. Some of the sentences are correct, and some have a word which shouldn´t be there. If a sentence is correct, put a tick (V). If it´s incorrect, cross the
unnecessary word out of the sentence and write the correct one:

1. I´ve got the least powerful computer in the world.
-
2. London is more bigger than Birmingham.
-
3. Silver isn´t as expensive as gold.
-
4. Indian food is the nicer than Chinese, I think.
-
5. I feel much better now, thank you..
-
6. You´re taller than he is.
-
7. The weather is getting hotter and more hotter.
-
8. The longer you wait, so the harder it´ll be.
-

13. Put a verb into the correct form, “to.......” or “-ing.” :

1. When I´m tired, I enjoy ____________ television.
2. It was a nice day, so we decided ______________for a walk.
3. I´m not hungry. I don´t mind ____________for a minute.
4. I wish that dog would stop ______________. It´s driving me mad.
5. I´m still looking for a job but I hope _______________something soon.
6. We were hungry, so I suggested _______________dinner early.
7. When I was a child I hated _______________to bed early.
8. I would love _________________to your wedding but I´m afraid it isn´t
possible.

14. Complete the sentences with must or have to (in the correct tense):

1. In Britain many children ___________wear uniform when they go to school.
2. When you come to London again, you ___________come and see us.
3. Last night Don became ill suddenly, we ________________call a doctor.
4. Whatever you do, you ____________study hard, I hope all my students

pass my exam.
5. You __________be quiet, the baby is asleep.
6. I´m sorry, I couldn´t come yesterday. I ____________work late.

16. Prepositions of place:

1. Rachel was lying _______the grass reading a book.
2. It´s my holiday next week. I´m going _______London.
3. There was a big crowd __________the shop waiting for it to open.
4. That man is an idiot. He pushed me ________the swimming – pool.
5. I went _____the Chemist´s just now, but I didn´t notice if it was open.
6. David hurt himself. He fell ______his bike.
7. The sheep go out _________hole in the fence.

17. Adjectives. Write the opposites:

1. Dirty ______________________
2. Crowded ______________________
3. Narrow ______________________
4. Lazy ______________________
5. Talkative ______________________
6. High ______________________
7. Friendly ______________________
8. Shy ______________________
9. Stupid ______________________
10. Interested ______________________

18. Put the verbs into the present simple, present continuous o present perfect:

The story of Richard´s day ________(show) the stress of modern life, but
Richard could do a lot to help himself. In the first picture he ____________
(get) ready to go and see Mr. Patel. He _________(have) a busy day so far.
He ________(be) to three meetings and he _________(make) several
phone calls. He_________(hurry), because he ________(not want) to be
late and he only _______(have) half an hour to get there. Then, just as he
________(leave) the office, the Managing Director _______(call). What
_______Richard_________(do)? He ________(take) the call and then he
________(blame) the Managing Director because he´s late. But it isn´t the
Managing Director´s fault. He´s late and Mr. Patel is already waiting. Then
an accident _______(happen), because Richard________(not concentrate)
on the road.

19. Complete these sentences using the correct form of the verb have to +
one of these verbs: Do get up go go pay shave wait work

1. I´m not working tomorrow, so I _____________________early.
2. The car park is free – you ______________________to park your car
there.
3. I went to the bank this morning. There was no queue, so I
_____________________.
4. Sally is extremely rich. She_________________________.
5. We´ve got plenty of time. We____________________________ yet.
6. Jack has got a beard, so he ___________________________.
7. I´m not particularly busy. I´ve got a few things to do but
I______________________them now.
8. A man was slightly injured in the accident but he
_______________________to hospital.

20. Circle the correct answers:

1. John and his / her / their wife have gone to Greece.
2. Ann´s lost his / her / its keys.
3. That´s not me / my / mine coat.
4. This coat is me / my / mine.
5. Their house is much bigger than ours / our / my.
6. Who / Who´s / Whose is this bag?.
7. That dog has hurt it´s / its / their ear.
8. They´ve taken my car: They / Their / Theirs isn´t running.
9. It is / We are Tuesday.
10. Peter´s here with his / her / their two sisters.
11. Its / It´s / They are five o´clock.

21. PREPOSITIONS. Put in from / to / at / in.

1. Let´s go _________the country this weekend.
2. She spends hours ________the bathroom.
3. Shall we drive _______Scotland or go by train?.
4. We flew directly _____Berlin _______Tokyo.
5. What time do we arrive _____Paris?.
6. After six days´ walking, they got _____a river.
7. I saw Annie standing _____the bus stop.
8. When we arrived _____her house she had already left.

22. PREPOSITIONS. Put these words and phrases in the correct columns:
In on at no preposition


The weekend tomorrow afternoon ten o´clock Easter
two days ago my birthday Tuesday
the afternoon 7.15 Wednesday morning
1922 Wednesday 9th May tonight
the seventeenth century next week
last year this evening Christmas Day
yesterday midnight September night
10th January the 1960s summer

23. Write sentences using a relative pronoun (who, that, which).

1. On holiday I met a boy. He taught me how to waterski.
________________________________________________________
2. Travis is a pop band. They have had several hits.
________________________________________________________
3. My parents gave my brother a bike. He really loves it.
________________________________________________________
4. Did you bring the book?. I gave it to you last week.
________________________________________________________
5. Jack is a friend, I met him on holiday last year.
________________________________________________________
6. Eva is a very kind woman. She doesn´t say a bad word about anyone.
________________________________________________________

24. Complete the advertisement and letter with these words and phrases. Use the
verbs in the correct form.
Look for / build / training / reference / apply for / take part in / protect / provide / take up / look after / work / build up

A) The Youth Volunteer Protect needs volunteers to ___________different projects
abroad this summer. Would you like to help to ___________ the rainforest in South
America, ___________ a new school in Africa or _____________ sick children in
Asia?. Basic __________ in relevant skills will be provided, plus accommodation
and an allowance. Write to Susie Banks at the address below. Please
___________the name of someone who can give us a _____________for you.

B) Dear Ms. Banks,
I´m writing to ________________a place on the Youth Volunteer Project this summer.
When I leave school next year, I would like _______________ a career in nursing. I
__________ an opportunity to find ____________ with children and to
_____________some experience before I start a course. Your project in Asia sounds
very interesting.
I am enclosing a reference from my Head Teacher, Mr. Smith.
Yours sincerely,
Jenny Green.

25. First Conditional. Correct the mistake in sentences 1 –8. All the sentences
contain one mistake.


1. If Richard will finish his homework by eight o´clock, he will go out tonight.
2. If it´s summy tomorrow, we go to the beach.
3. If we will get a dog, will you look after it?.
4. If Jack doesn´t drive more slowly, he fails the driving test.
5. If Judith doesn´t find her car keys in the next ten minutes, she has to take the bus to
work.
6. Will you go to the football match on Saturday if it won´t rain?.
7. Sophie goes to work tomorrow if she feels better.
8. I won´t come with you tomorrow if my brother will visit me.
9. If we get back late from the concert tonight, we are very quiet.

26, Put these sentences into the passive. Leave out any words you don´t need.

1. We speak French and English here.
__________________________________________________________
2. Someone repaired the car last week.
__________________________________________________________
3. They make the best cakes in Germany.
__________________________________________________________
4. They sell computer games in bookshops now.
__________________________________________________________
5. The reporter wrote the article in a hotel in Croatia.
__________________________________________________________
6. They build the aeroplane engines in Chicago.
__________________________________________________________
7. Someone robbed the bank in our town last week.
__________________________________________________________

8. The authorities planted new trees in the parks after the storm.
__________________________________________________________


27. Put too or enough into each of the following sentences.

1. The red wine was cold; it was almost frozen.
2. We had soup as a starter and it wasn´t hot.
3. There wasn´t bread and the waiter wouldn´t bring us any more.
4. There was salt in the pasta.
5. I asked for the meat to be not well – done.
6. They had put garlic in the sauce.
7. The bill was expensive.
8. We didn´t have money to pay.






Carmen María

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario