Irregular Verbs


If you follow my instructions and the pace I set, I ´m sure that you will learn how to use the irregular verbs in English. 

I advise you not to learn the list by heart. You needn´t study the list, but work on the list, making groups with the verbs that are similar in the way they make the past and past participle forms.  By doing this, you´ll find out that the irregular verbs follow some patterns. If you know these patterns and make groups, this will make  it easier to memorise them and learn them. Also make your own sentences with them and put them into context.

1) Verbs with all 3 forms identical -  HIT HIT HIT
2) Verbs with all 3 forms different : 
  • Verbs with –N in the Past Participle - TAKE TOOK TAKEN
  • Past with -ew, past participle with -own - KNOW KNEW KNOWN
  • Vowels change - RING RANG RUNG

3) Simple Past and past participle are similar:
  • Long “e” changes to short “e” - KEEP KEPT KEPT
  • -ought and –aught endings - TEACH TAUGHT TAUGHT
4) Infinitive and past participle are similar - COME CAME COME



5) Infinitive and Simple Past are similar - BEAT BEAT BEATEN



6) The REALLY Irregular Verbs - BE WAS/WERE BEE


COMPLETE LIST OF IRREGULAR VERBS

Click on the link below:







The internet can also help you to revise your progress and test your knowledge. Click on these links and find out!!


• http://www.quia.com/cb/119049.html
This is a great interactive game which functions like Jeopardy. 

 http://www.macmillandictionary.com/verb_wheel/ 
Swing the wheel and see if you get right.

• http://www.eslgamesplus.com/past-simple-irregular-verbs-esl-grammar-inte... 
An interactive game were you can practice verbs in context. It's also good for revising vocabulary

 http://www.manythings.org/wbg/verbs_past1-mw.html 
A game of knowledge and memory. Match infinitives and thier past simple versions.

 http://www.english-online.org.uk/games/pasttense2.htm 
Get the frog across the pond by choosing the right lily for him to jump on to. Good luck!



There are also websites with interactive games which can be really 

useful and entertaining.


Click and check!!


Watch this video too...





TAKE (took, TAKen). You SHAKE (shook, SHAken). 
WAKE (woke, WOken) to the STYLE Im creAting. 
THINK (thought, THOUGHT). SEEK (sought, SOUGHT).
LISten to the LESson that I TEACH (taught, TAUGHT).


Dont SLEEP (slept, SLEPT). I CREEP (crept, CREPT). 
I SNEAK (snuck, SNUCK UP). You LEAP (leapt, LEAPT).
I KEEP (kept, KEPT) HAVing FUN. 
Im never BEAT (beat, BEAten); I WIN (won, WON).
DO (did, DONE). BeGIN (began, beGUN).
SHOOT (shot, SHOT)—no, I DONT own a GUN. 
I LEAD (led, LED) so I can FEED (fed, FED). 
the KNOWledge you NEED, STRAIGHT to your HEAD. 
When I BRING (brought, BROUGHT) it, you CATCH (caught, CAUGHT) it.
Sit BACKreLAX. Dont FIGHT (fought, FOUGHT) it.


Please don't 

FREEZE (froze, FROzen) when I SPEAK (spoke, SPOken). 
Its REAL. You can FEEL I dont STEAL (stole, STOlen). 
I CHOOSE (chose, CHOsen) the VERy best RHYMES and
WRITE (wrote, WRITten) them INto my LINES and
INto your MIND. When we MEET (met, MET)
Ill BET (bet, BET) I wont LET you forGET 
(forGOTforGOTten). I GET (got, GOTten)
EVery head NODding. Dont THINK about STOPping
just COME (came, COME). 
THIS is hip hop. I dont SING (sang, SUNG).
I STING (stung, STUNG). I CLING (clung, CLUNG).
On EACH and every WORD, you HANG (hung, HUNG).

Its not enough to

DREAM (dreamt, DREAMT); youve got to SPEND (spent, SPENT)
TIME on your GOALS. Please LEND (lent, LENT) me your
EAR. Come NEAR and Ill LAY (laid, LAID)
DOWN this new SOUND that I MAKE (made, MADE). 
I HOPE you dont SAY that you THINK its JUNK.
I HOPE you dont THINK that I STINK (stank, STUNK).
If youre THIRSty for ENGlish, come DRINK (drank, DRUNK).
because I SINK (sank, SUNK) ALL compeTItion when they 
HEAR (heard, HEARD) that I GIVE (gave, GIVen)
encouragement when I SPIT (spat, SPAT).
Never QUIT (quit, QUIT); dont SIT (sat, SAT).
Yeah, I LIKE it like THAT. Ill even KNEEL (knelt, KNELT).
and BEG you to exPRESS what you FEEL (felt, FELT).


I RISE (rose, RISen) when I DRIVE (drove, DRIVen) through 
the BEAT; tap your FEET as you RIDE (rode, RIDden). 
Those that HIDE (hid, HIDden) I FIND (found, FOUND).
If you FLEE (fled, FLED) then Ill TRACK you DOWN.

Now you SEE (saw, SEEN) that I MEAN (meant, MEANT) 
every WORD of the MESsage that I SEND (sent, SENT). 
I SHOW (showed, SHOWN) I can FLY (flew, FLOWN).
Now you KNOW (knew, KNOWN) I SHINE (shone, SHONE).
Ill THROW (threw, THROWN) you the BALL. Its your TURN. 
GROW (grew, GROWN) with the VERBS that youve LEARNED. 
GRAMmar through LYRics I DRAW (drew, DRAWN). 
PEACE to elLS, now I GO (went, GONE)!







Your turn...


Complete the gaps with an irregular verb in the past simple tense. Choose from:

be, break, buy, come, drive, eat, feel, find, get, give, go, have, hear, hold, know, let, lose, make, put, read, ring, run, say, sleep, take, think, tell, write

Note: you will need to use some verbs more than once:



Dear Ethel

I’m writing to tell you about something that happened yesterday. I __________ up at the usual time – about 10 am – __________ a shower and __________ breakfast. I __________ a big bowl of cereal and some toast and watched TV for a while. Then I __________ into the kitchen where I __________ a funny noise. I __________ it __________ from behind the cooker. I __________ my tool box and moved the cooker out of the way.

The noise __________ louder but I couldn’t see anything. I __________ my uncle to ask his advice. He __________ that he __________ it could be a gas leak. When I __________ this I just panicked! I __________ the phone down, __________ outside, __________ in my car and __________ to the local police station. I __________ them about my gas leak but the constable __________ his patience with me. He __________ that I should have phoned the gas company. He __________ his report, then __________ the gas company for me.

Then I remembered that my house doesn’t have gas – only electricity! I __________ really stupid and __________ that the constable would be angry with me for wasting his time, so I __________ out of the police station while he __________ still on the phone. I __________ home to try to find out what the noise __________. On the way I __________ a newspaper and I __________ about an escaped llama that __________ out of the city safari park last Wednesday.

When I __________ home I __________ my key in the door, turned it, __________ inside and straight away __________ that funny noise again. I __________ my breath and opened the door slowly. Guess what? I __________ the llama hiding in my cupboard! I __________ him stay and he __________ in my garden last night. The snoring __________ so loud! This morning I __________ him back to the safari park. They __________ really pleased to see him again and __________ me a reward of £50!

Hope you are well. Write soon and let me know how you are. Your friend,

Alan




Carmen María

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario