English Classroom Language for teachers and students.

Getting ready to go back to school? Ready for your English classes?


Remember, communication in English will be the only important thing. No matter if you make mistakes when speaking/writing or don' t understand everything you hear/read. 


The first step is learning basic classroom language. Here you have some high-frequency expressions that students and teachers can find useful.


TEACHER´S  LANGUAGE


         STARTING THE LESSON



        How are you doing?/ 
        How are you today?
        Let´s start with the lesson
        Is everybody ready to start?
        Did you have a nice weekend?
 Good morning everyone! 
 Hi, there! 
 ATTENDANCE

       I’m going to take attendanceWho’s not here today?Who is missing today?Who´s absent today?What´s wrong with X today?

GETTING THE STUDENTS´ATTENTION
 Listen to me, please.Be quiet, please. Silent/Silence, please. Stop talking, please!Can I have your attention, please? Could you all listen to me, please?Would you pay attention, please?X,  are you with us?

SIMPLE COMMANDSStand up/ Sit down.Sit down properly.Come on,  Wake up!Switch on / switch off the lights / the computers Settle down and let’s get started. Put up your hand if you know the answer.Ana, please, come to the front of the class. Open your books at page …… 


Turn to page ... Look at activity five.Pedro, do you mind collecting the compositions for me, please?Come in/ Go out.
 Fran, would you take in / get/collect everyone’s writings/essays for nw, please? 
Juan, can you hand out / give out / distribute these copies, please?
Take one and pass them on. 
Would you pass the exams to the front / the back, please?

SETTING UP AN ACTIVITY

Who can remember what we were talking about at the end of last lesson?
Does anyone remember …...….?
Who can tell me………………?
Could you tell me what you remember from our last lesson?
Who would like to get extra marks/credit today?

REVIEWING INFORMATION 
Are you with me?OK so far? Do you get it? Do you have any questions? Let's check the answers.

ENCOURAGING AND CORRECTING 

 I’d like you to get into pairs for this activity
       
Work with your partner/alone
       
Please, get into pairs / groups of four
       
Can you 4 team up?
       
What I want you to do is to …………………………
      
 First, let’s go over the homework / the explanation on page 30 together.
       
Those of you that have finished exercise 5 can move on to exercise 6.
      
When you finish you can……………………………..
      
I want you to finish the exercises on page 16 now / at home
      
What I want you to do is to ………………….
      
 Go on / get on /continue with your work.
       
Could you turn it (the volume) up/ down. We can’t hear it from here. 
       
Open your Student’s Book / Workbook at page …
       
You have 3 min. to do this! Quickly! Hurry up!
      
 Any questions? Everything is clear enough?
       
Can anyone tell me …

Put your hands up if you know the answer

Please, do these exercises while I’m away

Who wants to start reading?


CHECKING UNDERSTANDING

Do you understand?
Very good. That's very good. Well done.
That's correct.
Excellent.
Yes, you've got it.
You've got the idea.
That’s correct.
You need more practice with this.
You'll have to spend some more time with this.
Good, you're getting better.
Your answer is very good / almost right.
Ok, that’s not the right answer, but let me help you with it.
Let me explain again.
Not exactly, have another try / try again.


HOMEWORK

This is your homework for tomorrow

There is no homework today

Don’t forget your homework. 

Do exercise 10 on page 23 for your homework.


ENDING THE LESSON

 Have you finished yet? 
 It's time to finish.
 Let's stop now. Stop now. 
This is all for now That’s all for now, see you Monday
That’s all for today, enjoy the weekend
OK, you can put away your things. See you next week.
Goodbye
See you tomorrow  


STUDENTS´S LANGUAGE  

                                            May I come in, please?      
     I’m sorry for being late.
     Can you repeat, please?
     Can you speak louder?
     I don’t / can’t understand.
     How do you pronounce this?
     Is this OK?
     Did you correct our exams?
     Can I correct, please?




 Can we play an English game today?
 Can I borrow a pencil / pen, please?
 Can I open the window?
 Can I go to the toilet  please?
 How do you say that in English? What’s the meaning of …?

 I'm sorry, I forgot/  I left my book/homework at home


       I didn't have time to do my homework. I'm sorry.

       Could you speak more slowly, please?

      Can you explain that again, please?
How do you say 'X' in English?

How do you spell 'wonderful'?


What's the difference between "X" and "Y"?


What does "X" mean?


What’s the meaning of "X"?


What’s the/for homework?


What page is it on? What page are we on?

Can you help me do this exercise? 


What do we have to do now? 


Can I share your book with my partner? 


Whose turn is it? It's my turn now. 




Carmen María

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario