Comparative and Superlative - Exercises (3rd Secondary)



To make the comparative and the superlative form of adjectives, first we need to know how many syllables are in the adjective.


There are some spelling changes:

- If there is one vowel followed by one consonant at the end of the adjective, we often double the consonant.
  • wet → wetter / wettest
- If the adjective ends in 'y', this often changes to 'i'.
  • dry → drier / driest
 - If the adjective ends in 'e', we don't add another 'e', just 'r'.
  • nice → nicer / nicest

EXERCISES

a) Fill in the correct form of the words in brackets (comparative or superlative).

1.My house is (big)______than yours.


2.This flower is (beautiful)_________than that one.


3.This is the (interesting)__________book I have ever read.


4.Non-smokers usually live (long)_______than smokers.


5.Which is the (dangerous)_________animal in the world?


6.A holiday by the sea is (good)___________than a holiday in the mountains.


7.It is strange but often a coke is (expensive)___________than a beer.


8.Who is the (rich)________woman on earth?


9.The weather this summer is even (bad)_________than last summer.


10.He was the (clever)___________thief of all.



b) Complete the sentences with a superlative:


a. This building is very old. It’s ______________ in the town.


b. It was a very happy day. It was ______________ of my life.


c. It’s a very good film. It’s________________ I’ve seen.


d. It was a very bad mistake. It was_____________ in my life.


e. It was a very cold day. It was_______________ of the year.


f. She’s a popular singer. She’s ______________ in the country.


g. He’s a very boring person. He’s______________ I know.


h. This house is very big. It is ______________ I’ve lived in.


i. My cousin is very tall. He is ______________ I have.


j. Laura is a very pretty girl. She is____________ I know.



Carmen María