Rainy morning


"The rain in Spain is mainly in the plain", repeated  Eliza Doolittle in the film "My Fair Lady", trying to break her Cockney accent with speech exercises.

Do you want to see the rain in Seville? Have a look. Seville, today 10th of October,  8 a.m. 

Chaos, flooded roads and  traffic jams everywhere. Two hours and a half to drive my daily fifteen-minute journey to work. However it was not better by bus...








By the way, let´s learn some idioms related to the rain.


  • To rain cats and dogs:  llover a cántaros.
What an awful weather! it´s raining cats and dogs.
  • To rain on (somebody´s) parade :  aguar la fiesta.
  I was looking forward to going out with my friends but my mum rained on my parade when she  told me   I  couldn’t.
  • (as) right as rain: fresco como una rosa 
I feel really exhausted now,  but I’m sure I’ll be as right as rain after some sleep. 
  • When it rains, it pours  /  it never rains but it pours:  las desgracias nunca vienen solas.
Janet´s  mother died, then she got fire after a serious disease.  It never rains but it pours!
  • To  take a raincheck:  dejarlo para otro momento.
John:  Do you fancy playing tennis tommorrow?
Steve:  I’ll take a raincheck. I have an exam next Monday. 
  • To save for a rainy day: ahorrar para los tiempos de vacas flacas.
I’m not going to spend my money on a new car, I’ll save it for a rainy day.

Carmen María

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario